Low Head is a small town of approximately 619 people situated on the mouth of the Tamar River in the north of Tasmania. Only 40 minutes from Launceston, the town is known as a popular for beach activities including snorkeling and scuba diving. The town has a maritime attractions including the Low Head lighthouse which was established in 1805 and is the oldest continually used pilot station in Australia. The town is located in the George Town Council and has a range of facilities including aged care facility, caravan park, bowling club and accommodation. Other facilities are available nearby in George Town.
In the spatial walkability assessment, Low Head’s walkability was rated low in comparison to the 91 other towns in the study. The spatial maps indicate that Low Head has low walkability throughout however this was not reflected in the findings from the audits and workshop discussion.
In the town wide audit, natural assets including beaches and the shared use kanamaluka Trail were reported as important spaces for recreation.
The program and policy audit recognised some important programs and policies in the area including the ‘Healthy George Town’ program (providing free health and wellbeing activities to residents in the local area). There have also been noted improvements to the built environment encouraging more walking and active recreation.